Weekender scholarships for BIPOC attendees
Through the generosity of several donors and community partners – Bawdy Suit Burlesque, Jacqueline Hyde, Sabor, Silk and Spice Rising, and 2022 Miss Exotic World, Lou Lou la Duchesse de Rière – there will be several scholarships available for BIPOC persons to attend the 2023 Weekender. Each scholarship will provide a full Weekender pass, hotel accommodations for Weds-Sun, and a $300 travel credit, allowing persons who might otherwise not be able to attend the Weekender to take part at minimal expense to themselves.
Each scholarship will be focused slightly differently and have its own application process managed by the sponsoring parties. Individuals will be able to apply to all they qualify for, though will only be eligible to receive one in any given year. The scholarships will include:
- BIPOC scholarship: Available to all BIPOC people – Black, AAPI, Latine, Indigenous, and anyone else who identifies as BIPOC.
- The Asè Scholarship, presented by Bawdy Suit: Awarded to a member of the Black community. Everyone encouraged to apply – disabled, trans and queer applicants will be given priority. (See below for more information)
- Indigenous persons scholarship, presented by Lou Lou la Duchesse de Rière: Awarded to an Indigenous person.
- The Natividad Scholarship, presented by Sabor – A Latin Burlesque and Drag Revue: Awarded to a performer in the Latine community.
- The Silk and Spice Scholarship, presented by Silk and Spice Rising: Awarded to a performer in the pan-Asian (AAPI/AAPIDA/AANHPI) community.
Applications will open in January. Further clarification of the qualifications and application requirements for each scholarship will be announced as we receive them.
The Silk and Spice BHoF Weekender Scholarship
Presented by Silk and Spice Rising: A Pan-Asian Performance Arts Festival
This scholarship to attend the Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekender is to be awarded to a member of the pan-Asian (AAPI/AAPIDA/AANHPI) community, with priority given to community members who are Black Asian, black/kalo Asian, South Asian, plus size, trans, queer, and/or disabled. Scholarship recipient will receive:
- A full pass to the 2023 Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekender
- Accommodations at the Orleans Hotel and Casino for 5 days (Wednesday 5/31 through Monday 6/5)
- Travel expenses stipend (up to $300)
- Must be 21 years or older at time of application.
- Must be of Asian or Pacific Islander heritage.
- Recipient commits to the documentation of their journey throughout, via social media.
- Recipient commits to attending BHoF Finishing School classes during the Weekender.
- Recipient commits to the prioritization of time spent with the Legends, particularly by attending the Titans of Tease showcase as well as attending the Legends’ Panel.
The Silk and Spice Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of community members who have no direct affiliation with the Burlesque Hall of Fame. Selection will be based on need, how the scholarship benefits the recipient, and how the recipient will use the opportunity to serve the Asian Burlesque Community. This scholarship is presented by Silk and Spice Rising, a new Pan-Asian performance arts festival. Conceptualized in the spring of 2021 by Tas Al-Ghul, the executive producer of Vamptastic Productions, this festival will be debuting in May 2024 and will be a celebration of Asian cabaret and nightlife performance artists.
Apply Here (Application Deadline May 24, 2023)
Presented by Bawdy Suit
An application for a scholarship to attend the Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekender to be awarded to a member of the Black community (with priority given to Trans, Queer and/or Disabled persons). Scholarship recipient will receive:
- Accommodations at the Orleans Hotel and Casino for 5 days
- Tickets to each night of the Weekend/Tournament of Tease
- $300 stipend to offset travel expenses
Sky Woman BHOF Weekender Scholarship
Lou Lou La Duchesse de Rière is proud to present the Sky Woman Scholarship!
This scholarship is open to all burlesque performers, producers and community members or all genders, who identify as First Nations/Métis/Inuit.
The Natividad Memorial Scholarship
Sabor National Touring Latin Burlesque & Revue is awarding The Natividad Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship will provide one person with a Full Weekend Pass, Hotel and Accommodation (Wednesday – Monday) for 5 Nights, and a $300.00 Travel Credit.
The BHoF BIPOC Weekender Scholarship
Applications are now open for the 2023 BHoF BIPOC Weekender Scholarship. Funded by a generous donation from Jacqueline Hyde, this scholarship is intended to give a member of the BIPOC burlesque community who may not have the financial means to attend the annual BHOF Weekender in Las Vegas an opportunity to do so.
The recipient will receive:
- Full pass to the 2023 BHoF Weekender in Las Vegas, June 1-4
- 5 nights at the Orleans Hotel and Casino during the event
- $300 stipend to offset travel expenses
The recipient will be selected by BHoF’s BIPOC Committee, a committee of outside volunteers and board members, based on financial need and the applicant’s current or potential contribution to promoting greater inclusivity and diversity in the world burlesque.
This scholarship is open to all BIPOC persons regardless of nationality. (For the purposes of this award, “BIPOC” refers to anyone connected to Black, Indigenous, Latine, Asian, and other non-white ethnic communities.)
Apply here. Applications close at midnight on March 5, 2023.
Note: BHoF will still be offering the Sparkly Devil Memorial Scholarship, which offers a close-up experience with our burlesque Legends as well as a Weekender pass and accomodations, and is open to everyone. For more information on that scholarship, click here.