The following are the complete rules for applying to the 2020 Virtual Burlesque Hall of Fame (“VHoF”). There’s a lot contained here but we wanted to make sure you can find a clear answer for everything!
We welcome thoughts from our community; if you have any feedback or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opening of application and rule updates
- Application season is considered to begin when the Burlesque Hall of Fame (“BHoF”) makes a public statement (via email, social media, and etc.) for 2020 VHoF.
- Rules are posted as early as possible and before the application opens.
- BHoF will take every measure possible to avoid changing rules once the rules have been posted. Only “critical” rule changes will occur after the season opens; with “critical” being defined as: essential to the function of the applications, or clarity of rules. Once the season is open, rule suggestions and non-essential changes are held for discussion for inclusion in subsequent years. If it is absolutely necessary to update the rules, then this will be clearly indicated in this section.
(as of June 24) Video recording date: All video recordings submitted must be filmed on or after March 15, 2020. (See: “Video submissions”)
- (as of June 30) Video recording date: All video recordings submitted must be filmed on or after January 1, 2020. (See: “Video submissions”)
- (as of June 30) Submission Deadline: The application deadline is Monday, July 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT. (See: “Requirements, eligibility…”)
Requirements, eligibility of entries, and submission of materials
- Eligibility: The VHoF application is open to all burlesque performers (“Applicant(s)”). Applicants must be 21 years of age or older at the time of video submission recording as provided by the applicant in the application. Applicant is responsible for completing and submitting the application. A valid email address will be required.
- How to apply:All applications for 2020 VHoF will be submitted online through Google Form at the official VHoF website: www.bhofweekend.com. A working hyperlink to the act will be required.
- Agreement to rules: By submitting an application to VHoF, Applicants and any participating personnel agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and Applicant represents and warrants that Applicants meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, Applicants agree to accept the final decisions of the VHoF Selection Team. (See: “Finality of decisions”)
- Limit to entries: Each applicant may submit one (1) application. Each application may contain up to two (2) video recordings of seven minutes or less each. Video recordings over seven minutes will not be considered. (See: “Video submissions”). Additional applications from the same applicant will disqualify all applications.
- Fees: Application fees are not required, though a donation is suggested.
- Membership: BHoF Museum memberships will not be required in order to submit an application.
- (as of June 30) Submission Deadline: The application deadline is Monday, July 13, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT.
- Selection and Notification: All applicants will be notified of the selection results via email to the Applicant email address by Friday, July 17, 2020. BHoF reserves the right to delay result notification at any time. BHoF shall have no liability for Applicant’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Applicant’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. In the case of an accepted application, if Applicant cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to RSVP within the deadline as indicated in the result notification, the acceptance may be forfeited.
- Performance dates and your availability: VHoF will take place over the month of August 2020. If an application is selected, the result notification will indicate the performance date. For live performance, if Applicant is unable to attend on the performance date, Applicant may be asked to forfeit as performance dates may not be transferred.
- Completeness of application: All fields in the application form are required unless otherwise indicated. The application form does not check for accuracy of the information provided.
- Changes to application: No changes to the application itself can be made once it is submitted.
- Changes to selected act: If selected to perform live, Applicant will be required to attend a live stream tech rehearsal scheduled the week before performance date. At that point, small changes are permissible but Applicant performance cannot be significantly different from the application submitted. Final authority over changes is at the discretion of BHoF.
- Submitted materials: Selected applicants will be required to upload video and/or audio by the deadline as required by the VHoF Production Team. If the act includes live vocals and/or music, the VHoF Production Team will reach out with specific instructions. Submitted materials are non-returnable and may be used for the purpose of promoting the Burlesque Hall of Fame and VHoF.
- Confirmation of application submission: When application is submitted, a confirmation screen will display. An email confirmation will also be sent to the Applicant email address.
- Timing of entries: All entries within the open application period will receive equal evaluation.
- False accounts: BHoF reserves the right to delete or remove from consideration any application accounts that are deemed to be false, misleading, spam, or otherwise not representative of an actual performer intending to submit a legitimate application.
Final authority and decisions
- Selection team and evaluation: To ensure fairness, applications are evaluated by the VHoF Selection Team using a scoring system. BHoF reserves the right to keep Selection Team member identities confidential to ensure fairness to all.
- Continuity and consistency of act: If selected for VHoF, then Applicant must present the same act that was submitted.
- Similar act/music: In the event that two or more acts selected contain the same music or are very similar, these acts will be scheduled for different showcases. Substitute acts will not be permitted.
- Finality of decisions: The Selection Team’s decisions are final and binding, and the Selection Team reserves the right to make changes as unforeseen circumstances warrant for the final production of VHoF. (For example, in the unlikely event of an erroneous notification, the Selection Team’s final decision still stands).
- Purchase of tickets: Selected applicants will be notified of ticketing at the earliest possible time once pricing and structure have been finalized.
Appropriateness of acts and act elements
- Originality of material: All acts must be the work and artistry of Applicant. BHoF reserves the right to take punitive steps (up to and including dismissal) if BHoF determines an act violates this due to reasons such as (but not limited to) demonstrable and overwhelming similarity to a previously existing act. In the case of a tribute act, permission of the person whom Applicant is paying tribute to should be provided by Applicant.
- Compensation and responsibility for additional costs: By performing, Applicant agrees to donate time and talent and will not receive any additional compensation from BHoF. Additionally, Applicants are responsible for all costs relating to performing during VHoF.
- Limitations on full nudity and lewdness: Full nudity is prohibited and coverings such as pasties and G-strings must be worn at all times. Specifically:
- All performers are required to fully cover their genitals with an article of clothing while on-screen.
- Areolas must be fully covered at all times while on-screen.
- Any incorporation of full nudity, sex toys, or explicit sexual imagery of any kind (real or simulated) are prohibited.
- Failure to follow any of the above will result in immediate removal from VHoF, and the performer shall be excluded from future BHoF performance opportunities at the discretion of BHoF.
- (as of June 30) Video recording date: All video recordings submitted must be filmed on or after January 1, 2020.
- Video length: All video recordings submitted must be seven minutes or less. Video recordings over seven minutes will not be considered.
- Required performance footage: Performance footage is required of all applicants, and must be of the specific act that Applicant is submitting for consideration. Video recordings should not include any on-screen text or emcee introductions unless essential to the performance.
- Performance footage link: All video submissions should be provided via an online link in the application. If a link does not work, it is at BHoF’s discretion to contact Applicant via email for an updated link accompanied with a deadline. Application videos must be viewable until the conclusion of VHoF 2020. Application videos should be viewable without any login, password, or “friend-linked” restrictions. The VHoF Selection Team will not view pages that require them to join, search, browse, upload/download, or otherwise perform extra work in order to find and view Applicant video.
- Title/description of videos: Video title should include performer name and act title.
- All participation in VHoF are non-competitive performance opportunities.
Legal compliance and indemnification
- All applicants and participants agree to abide by all applicable laws regarding nudity and appropriateness as described elsewhere in these rules.
- By submitting (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), Applicant understands and agrees that BHoF, anyone acting on behalf of BHoF, and BHoF’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, Applicant entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about and on BHoF, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes, without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
- All participants agree to take full responsibility for themselves, their screen share, and the act they are performing. All participants agree to hold the Burlesque Hall of Fame and any of its representatives blameless for any accident, injury, or loss that might occur due to their participation in this event, and free from all liability for accidents, injuries, or losses.